Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Talking to Parents About Autism Action Kit

"Today, 1 in 150 American children is diagnosed with autism. As an early childhood educator, you may be the first to notice when a child is not meeting typical developmental milestones. When this happens, you need to talk to the parents and urge them to have their child screened.
Now there are materials available to help you prepare for this important conversation. The Talking to Parents About Autism Action Kit contains the tools you need to initiate this critical dialogue. Having this conversation with parents can make all the difference in a child's life! Please review. Please click here to discuss or ask questions".

6 comments:

Ronda said...

I use the Developmental Milestones Checklists from CDC at my daycare, but I was unaware of the Milestones Map brochure. It's a nice, concise presentation of the information and I will print some to put out for parents.

Anonymous said...

I realized that along with the Developmental Milestones Checklists I currently use, it is important to document the everyday behavior of a child I’m concerned about, as a way to better illustrate to parents things they may not see as a concern at home. I plan to create an Observations binder with pages for each child, and begin making notes on their pages, trying to concentrate more on the particular child I’ve been concerned about.

Kristina said...

Observations, DM checklists, along with documentations of behaviors is important for children who display behavior concerns.

emma.m said...

I am working with a three year old with no form of communication we are trying pegs and signs. Any other ideas?

CR Petersen said...

Go here and "like" this page on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autism-Urgent-information/189041711123448 you will find lots of ideas over time on teaching communication. You will also find some ideas on the other page I recommended here http://www.childdevelopment.me.uk/INDEX_P8AM.html

Kaitlyn Hannem said...

My coworker/son's preschool teacher came forth with the concern that my son might have autism. I had recently been curious too if he had it but hearing it from someone else was tough. I respect her though for coming forth but now that I have been on the receiving end, I will definitely make sure I have brochures on Autism Spectrum Disorder to help parents understand better what I am saying